Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The BBB

My tale of Back Bay seduction, "Boston. Breasts. Bohemian," is now available at Oysters & Chocolate Erotic—its first online appearance. It all starts with a cartoon...
“Sorry about the breasts,” he said nervously, stepping to the side so he could face me. I took a peek at the cartoon lady’s cleavage, which I hadn’t noticed before. “I didn’t mean to draw them so large. I don’t want people to decide I’m one of those guys who thinks a woman amounts to a set of breasts.”

I felt a flush in my own, relatively generous, chest. “It’s okay, Ned. Hey, women have breasts. And breasts are nice, right?” I laughed, more self-consciously than I was used to in my workplace.

Meanwhile, The Pleasure Dial continues to receive the kind of praise that makes me walk around with a cartoonish grin all day long:
"Jeremy is gifted at combining humour and erotic elements in a rollicking good story. No easy task. His latest story, The Pleasure Dial, is a real treat and it instantly zipped me out of my own head, and kept me glued to the fun." [Saskia Walker, via Goodreads.]

3 comments:

Jeremy Edwards said...

Aw, thanks, Gina! You're a champion head-unzipper yourself!

This cartoon is a bit of life imitating art imitating life. I *did* decorate my cubicle with my own cartoons like the guy in my story, when I was his age. Though the tale is not autobiographical, some such elements of the setting were drawn from my own Boston years. But this actual cartoon was a fiction I created, in prose only, in the course of drafting the story. And then yesterday, based on a discussion on Facebook, I realized it would be fun to come full circle (isn't it always?) and bring it to life. I did it the old skool way, like I did cartoons in my pre-computer days, hand-lettering the caption in my wobbly writing and drawing a ragged freehand box around the whole thing with my lo-fi ballpoint pen.

Confidant said...

Love, love, love that cartoon! Cheers to you and your lo-fi ballpoint pen!

Jeremy Edwards said...

Thank you, Confidant!

At one point in my career as a cubicle cartoonist, I redrew a selection of my efforts using "real" pen and ink. I got slightly better results than Charlie Brown (cf. "Dear Pencil Pal"), but only slightly.